Become A Nurse Just To Be A Crna?

Specialties CRNA

Published

Does Anyone Think It Is Wrong To Want To Be An Rn Just So That They Could Be A Crna? Although The Clinical Experience In Icu Is Priceless.

Does Anyone Think It Is Wrong To Want To Be An Rn Just So That They Could Be A Crna? Although The Clinical Experience In Icu Is Priceless.

I don't think it's wrong...because it is exactly what I am currently doing. I enjoy nursing and I graduate in May but I do not want to be "just a nurse" for the rest of my life. But to be where I want to be, this is what I must do. Don't feel bad...if you want something you gotta do what you gotta do to get it.

Heck no!

The entire reason I went to nursing school was to eventually be an NP. The RN and BSN part are "stepping stones" to the eventual NP license :)

whoa....am i hearing you all right?!?!

first of all - there is no such thing as "just a nurse" - you are or you aren't...

and being a CRNA is still being a NURSE... i think that if you are just becoming a nurse to do anesthesia than you will never reach the full potential of what it is to be a nurse anesthetist...

sorry - just my opinion.

Specializes in Anesthesia.

first of all - there is no such thing as "just a nurse" - you are or you aren't...

and being a CRNA is still being a NURSE... i think that if you are just becoming a nurse to do anesthesia than you will never reach the full potential of what it is to be a nurse anesthetist...

sorry - just my opinion.

I agree with you in that there is no such thing as "just a nurse." That rubbed me the wrong way too, however, I don't think there is anything wrong with entering the nursing profession with the goal of CRNA from the onset.

I'm sorry that I offended you. That came across wrong...very wrong. I was not at all trying to belittle the nursing profession or imply that nurses are anything less than amazing. I was only meaning to get across that there is nothing wrong (in my opinion, of course) with applying to the nursing program with the intention of furthering that education and going a step beyond that. Again, I'm sorry for the way that came across.

Just remember that we 'just a nurse's' may get a little peeved if we are treated like steppingstones for 'bigger and better things', particularly when we are assigned as preceptors. Just a FYI. ;)

To the OP:

Had it not been for CRNA's, I don't think I would have ever gone into nursing. Not that I don't respect what a staff nurse does, I do. I have enormous respect for nurses who have worked the floor, or the ICU, or LDR, or where ever, for many years and can still get out of bed and look forward to going to work, or if not that, still take very good, compassionate care of their patients.

I knew coming into nursing that I wanted to do anesthesia, and I knew I wanted to take the nursing route to get there. So, no it is not wrong to come into nursing with the specific plan of pursuing further education.

Kevin McHugh, CRNA

hello everyone i just joined this forum today. i am a biology major and a minor in history who is planning on applying to Columbia's bs to bsn to msn program in anesthesia for may 2006. i feel there is nothing wrong with wanting to become a nurse for the sole purpose of becoming a crna. I just think alot of people hate to admit it but some do enter nursing with that ultimate goal in mind. I for example do like the CRNA route and am glad that columbia offers the option of directly going into this route without the extra stuff. If anyone is interested in finding out about columbia's direct entry program pm me friday afternoon iam actually attending an info session. i think it is an awesome idea for students that have a science background and wish to pursue the crna degree.

What is considered "extra stuff"? If it is a couple classes that's not bad. I hope the extra stuff doesn't mean the usual minimum reqired clinical experience as a critical care nurse. I think that experience is necessary to be able to begin to make the clinical judgements that you will be faced with as a CRNA. I just feel more comfortable if i were a patient having a CRNA who was a critical care nurse vs someone who has a biology degree. Maybe I am mistaken, but I just wanted to clarify "stuff"

sorry - just my opinion.

Right on Andrea! :)

first of all when i say extra stuff i mean having to deal with the application process that a nurse must undergo before being allowed into a program. second of all i am very sorry u view me as just having a lowly bio degree. if iam successful at being accepted into columbia's program that will not be your decision to make or whether i am given the opportunity to enter Crna school. The fact of the matter is that i may not have your prestigious critical care experience but iam someone who has taken a wide range of science classes. including biochemistry, pathophysiology, cell molecular biology, two semesters of orgo, physics, calculus etc. Columbia's program is designed to incorporate 1 year of critical experience in the program. Some people just need to learn how to chill out geez, u would think i was personally attacking someone.

+ Add a Comment