ICU interview for CRNA path PLEASE HELP

Specialties CRNA

Published

Hello,

I will have an ICU interview soon. My long term plan is to become nurse anesthetist. ICU in this hospital provides extensive orientation. Will they hire someone if they know this person will leave them in a year or two? They would invest in this new ICU nurse time and resources. What is your experience? I appreciate any input.

Hello,

I will have an ICU interview soon. My long term plan is to become nurse anesthetist. ICU in this hospital provides extensive orientation. Will they hire someone if they know this person will leave them in a year or two? They would invest in this new ICU nurse time and resources. What is your experience? I appreciate any input.

My hospital system in required a two year committment from new graduates. Orientation was approximately 6 months, 4 months on days and 2 months on nights. Critical care courses were taken during the day portion at a university.

The reason for the two year committment was the orientation cost the hospital nearly $20K. I was completely upfront with my manager about my plans, trust me, most managers will not have a problem hiring someone for a two year stint. The fact that you are going to school shows you have drive, determination, and initiative, something that cannot be taught in BSN school and these characteristics are also desirable in a staff ICU RN. Managers also know that (for the most part) morons don't get accepted into anesthesia school and you are likely to be one of the top staff nurses in a very short amount of time. I have heard of some managers being turned off to this idea from a small percentage of persons, but it has not happened to me or any of my friends that got into school. Good luck.

I agree with the first response you got. I just did the same thing and am about to start interviewing for school. My director is proud of me if anything, but hates to lose a nurse at the same time. Two years flies by and you will be getting lots of knowledge on the way. The main people you will get flack from are your fellow staff nurses. For the most part everyone is supportive of your goals. I have figured out that the rest are mostly jealous. Good Luck!

This is exactly what I just did (ignore my screen name!). I just accepted a job offer in the CVICU working with post open-heart patients. I interviewed for both this unit and the CCU, telling both of my plans to go on to CRNA. I got offered positions in both units. I believe rn29306 is correct in the thinking process of the managers.

Good luck!

Thanks guys, it's funny, I am also interviewing for ccu next week on my path to crna...

thank you guys for sharing

+ Add a Comment