moving to Australia

World International

Published

Me and my husband will be immigrating to Oz hopfully quite soon from the UK. presently we are just doing research and find out a couple of things. Does anyone know how I can find out the pay scale in Aus, Like the national Pay scale. I am a top G grade in Uk which means Senior sister, does anyone know if I will be able to find a job that will offer me the same grade?

Also my in-laws will be hopfully moving with us if they get accepted, my father in law has had a stroke and is quite dependednt with the NHS here in uk, with free precriptions, free health service, annual checks of diabetes. will he get that in Aus? and how easy it is for him to come? As both of them are retired and will be dependent on me and my husband.Does anyone know what happens?

Thank You

Also my in-laws will be hopfully moving with us if they get accepted, my father in law has had a stroke and is quite dependednt with the NHS here in uk, with free precriptions, free health service, annual checks of diabetes. will he get that in Aus? and how easy it is for him to come? As both of them are retired and will be dependent on me and my husband.Does anyone know what happens?

I did search for most information here. Hope this helps some-

In Australia we have what is called a health care card. You can apply for them at Centrelink. They entitle the card holder to decreased costs in medicines and a number of other concessions. I currently have one myself and pay $3.70 for all my medicine.

We do have bulk billing under Medicare - although the number of doctors who provide this is falling. It is basically free or subsidised treatment by doctors . There is more to it, w/o leaving confusion I will see if I can find more on this.

Hopefully one of our Aussie nurses can give you more insight to your post- I'm only a student. In the meantime I will have a hunt around on the net see if I can come up with anything. Best wishes to you. :)

Sum,

inrelation to pay rates please see the sticky gwenith startedin the begining of this section, it has some very useful links.You may also find other information there that you need.

Gidday,

I think you have quite a complicated issue here, to get permanent health care and support for invalid relatives already cared for under another western countries health care system. I have spoken recently to an RN that wanted to be sponsored out here, but when the immigration dept. heard they had a child with Downs syndrome and required extra health care they are now ploughed down with paperwork trying to prove that child will not become a "burden" and cost to the Aust. govt. Even though his wife is the permanent carer.

As for getting a position in hospitals here, there stacks of jobs for indians and sub-chiefs and chiefs, but usually you need the piece of paper that states you are studying or have post grad. dipsand certs to qualify you for the higher positions.

Best bet to get in touch with Australia House, they would have all the info about recip. health care etc. with Britain. C

ceridwyn, Thanks, I was woundering what field of nursing are you in? Also if you work in Oz was not sure by your email.Also what is your experience if working in Oz, how do you interact with the nursing staff over there.

I have the necc Cv to show my experience, but not sure if I can take my in laws. I don't want to put them with my application form when applyin for permenant residency, as we may fail.

Gidday Sum,

I interact just fine with my fellow Australian nurses as I was born and raised here, I have never worked anywhere else. I have travelled to many countries though. Britain being one of them.

There are difficulties at times with nurses that come from overseas when english is not their 1st language as communication with other staff and patients takes that bit longer. There are culture clashes with our older Australians sometimes with very definite ideas of who should be looking after them and who should not. Poms seem to get along fine with everyone though. C

Hi,

Go to the australian immigration homepage online and all your questions should be answered there.

Decide which state you want to live in and then apply to every hospital public and private to sponsor you as an employee, also go through agency in UK called blue arrows or swallows, not sure of name but if unsuccessful try nurses worldwide agency. Where i work we have about 10 sponsered UK nurses currently employed.

Next part is you apply with spouse to immigrate, set yourself up then sponsor the inlaws, i think you will find it difficult to bring them with you at same time. Best way will be just on visitors visa and then eventually apply for permanent. Currently the australian government has just changed all the UK - australian reciprocal rights and many of the current residents who have been here over 20 - 30yrs and didnt take out citizenship are at risk of being denied permanent status under the changes.

There has also been many changes to the health care status and unless your inlaw gets full provision for a british pension and all medical cover you may need to take out full (very expensive) private heaLth cover to ensure no burden would exsist over here. then you also have to gurantee complete ongoing care as no social security is available for 2years after arrival and then a further two years after granting of residency status.

Specializes in MS Home Health.

I would love to move to Coffs Harbour.

renerian:D

Coffs Habour is a beautiful place. I have not been there myself - parents went up there for a week some time ago now - brought back some really amazing photos. :)

Specializes in MS Home Health.

If life ever changes my path due to circumstance, I will leave Ohio so fast it would make your head spin. I have a friend in Coffs and one in Sydney and I want to come there so bad. I talked to an administrator at Baringa about working there and he was so nice and positive except they would not sponser me and the fee was over 2,000 American dollars which I do not have.

renerian

Australian hospitals are experiencing a shortage of experienced nurses and are very interested in hiring nurses from the UK. Most major public hospital and companies who own and operate private hospital would be pleased to hear from you, and will be able to offer you all sorts of incentives and assistance with setting up in Australia.

Healthscope is a company that runs high quality private hospitals in most states of Australia, and will be able to offer you a range of positions to pick from.

With respect to your dad's enitlements, I understand that Australia and the UK have reciprocal arrangement with this. If you register in Australia for Medicare, he might be covered. Again, a potential employer in Australia will look into this on your behalf - just ask.

reason for edit: removed recruitment information

My son and family are moving to OZ (Perth) next year and my husband and I are uncertain whether to go also.

Son will be OK as has established a business where he will be employing locals.

I will be retiring age in 8 years, husband 3 years. My background is Health Visiting (10 years ) plus 8 years as school nurse. I have MSc in Public and Environmental Health and currently doing secondment in Public Health field as a H grade - one below high'st UK nurse grade.

If I went to OZ as a visitor would I get a job? What job?

I have attempted to 'immegrate' only using the OZ page on the web and was rejected. Is this to do with age?.

+ Add a Comment